Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2006 #1632

From: Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com>
Subject: Re: Printing from Acrobat
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:24:27 -0400

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:47:03AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

>> I'm using Etch, with up-to-date CUPS.  I can print fine from most
>> applications (e.g. OpenOffice.org, Firefox) but not from Adobe
>> Acrobat Reader (v7 from the Marillat collection).  In fact, I can
>> print a Social Security form from xpdf, but not Acrobat.
>> (Unfortunately xpdf screws up the margins and cuts off the edges of
>> each page.)
>
>I did a poor job of explaining that.  Acrobat prints normally, and a
>job is created in CUPS, but it never actually prints, it just sits in
>the queue for my Laserjet 1012.  (I'm using hplip.)  If I print from
>another program, that job prints fine but the Acrobat-spawned job is
>still sitting in the queue.

I had the same problem with Adobe, and the same thing was happening with
the reader (I think it was Envision) which Debian installed.  I wondered
if Acrobat and Envision are doing something such as generating a
Postscript Level 3 file, which my Postscript Level 2 printer cannot
digest.

Because of spyware concerns regarding the current version of
Acrobat/Adobe Reader, I switched back to Adobe Reader version 5.

I have not checked Envision since reinstalling Etch last week.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Can someone tell me how to turn off the cover page/banner page (which
shows user name, host name, and job number) which prints with each print
job?  The Debian package maintainer should have made the default not to
print the cover page; it is appropriate only in a multi-user environment
in which a single printer serves multiple users.

And perhaps is it possible to solve the
CUPS-doesn't-print-until-the-printer-is-reconfigured problem by doing a
command-line installation of the printer, rather than using the web-page
administration tool?

RLH