Re: Testing and honesty

On Tuesday, 11.07.2006 at 09:49 -0300, Andre Carezia wrote:

> Dave Ewart escreveu:
>
> >> Maybe you should think about using better software (squirrelmail and
> >> bind are not secure enough for public servers, anyway :-))
> >
> > Can you provide some evidence to back up that remark?
>
> Sure.
>
> Squirrelmail is written in PHP, a fast-development language not designed
> with security in mind:
> http://www.sklar.com/page/article/owasp-top-ten

OK, that's a reason to avoid PHP, *not* specificially a reason to avoid
Squirrelmail.  Just because PHP may lead to insecure apps does not mean
that any particular PHP application is badly written, from a security
point of view.

> Squirrelmail vulnerabilities:
> http://secunia.com/product/288/

Well, I've just read that link.  Given that pretty-much *all*
network-related software will have the occasional security-related bug,
I see that aren't many listed for Squirrelmail and they're all patched.

> BIND flaws:
> http://www.lurhq.com/dnscache.pdf
> http://www.isotf.org/news/DNS-Amplification-Attacks.pdf
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/security.html
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/guarantee.html

Hmmm, yeah, I've always been wary of BIND :-)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org