Re: Why?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:39:40PM -0700, S Clement wrote:
> I am new to Debian - within the last two weeks - and two things puzzle me.
>
> Why do you seem to prefer gnome over kde?  I have examined both and kde seems to me to be easier to use.  There must be something I am missing.
>
> Is it worth hunting for a way to change the default?
Hi S,
Debian has an approach to make thing have sane defaults and to let
sysadmins/users make a choice and then for the next upgrade to not
overright these changes. You can certainly remove gnome or add kde to
your choice of desktop environments.
It maybe noted that using current 'stable' aka sarge is the intented
release for new folks and enterprise users alike. It is usually not
'bleeding edge' but this means it is do 'just work' which is not what
will happen if you use testing or unstable. You may learn more
troubleshooting skill and lose some sleep and hair but the choice is
yours.

> Where did you get that logo?  When it came up on the gnome desktop it immediatlely reminded me of something being flushed down the drain.  I hope it doesn't mean that!
>
> Adelard
the long logo (which includes the 'open' or short logo) has a 'i dream of genie
bottle with the red swirl above it'. In this logo version, the red swirl
is escaping from the bottle. The red swirl is akin to the 'magic' of
debian being let out of the bottle in a spiralling gas cloud.
cheers,
Kev