Re: printing problem - spurious "d" characters, bad pixels, spuriousform feeds

charles norwood wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 10:27 -0400, Daniel B. wrote:
Also, given that the spurious characters appear at different places in
the printout when I try again suggests that something random is going
on (dropped or extra characters in the output stream), which doesn't
sound like having the wrong PPD file.

Oh--another thing is that since upgrading to Sarge and 2.6.8
(2.6.8-2-k7-smp), trying to print occasionally hangs the entire system.

That suggests a problem with the parallel port driver or something
closer to that later.

Daniel
I don't have an answer, but my experience is "random" errors are due to
hardware failing.

No, I'm pretty sure it's not failing hardware:  The hardware worked fine
with Woody, kernel 2.4, and the pre-CUPs printing system.  And it still
works fine when I boot into Windows and print.

Besides, "random" errors are also easily due to bugs in concurrent code
(e.g., the kernel and interrupt handlers (device drivers)).

> My lockups have been due to hw/sw misconfiguration
e.g. irqs colliding.

What kind of configuration?  (BIOS settings?  auto-detected Linux
configuration?  manual Linux configurations?)

Daniel