Re: GUI lock-up after accessing unmounted samba share

Yeah, thanks, I did try all that you are suggesting, except trying to connect
over LAN or with a separate com port console. This why you see a "non-clean"
reboot.
I ask this question here exactly because I have exhausted all the software
means I know to determine the cause :
First I tried to get out of GUI - no luck.
After that I had to reboot and then I have checked the /var/log/messages

Jun 30 22:43:17 localhost -- MARK -- I was working on the system
Jun 30 23:03:17 localhost -- MARK -- I was working on the system
Jun 30 23:23:17 localhost -- MARK -- I was working on the system
Jun 30 23:43:17 localhost -- MARK --  - this is obviously when the lock-up
(may be even a kernel lock-up?) happened, so nothing else is written to the
/var/log/messages untill I do a reboot eleven hours later:
Jul  1 10:39:31 localhost syslogd 1.4.1#18: restart.

BTW, have you yourself been to
http://web.utk.edu/~rmahurin/debian-user-faq/faq.html ?
The section 2. How to Ask A Good Specific Question
http://web.utk.edu/~rmahurin/debian-user-faq/faq-2.html
contains exactly nothing except for the list of contents. "Typical Linux!"
as some might say :-)

As I believe the kernel itself is being locked (no entries in
/var/log/messages - please convince me overwise ), I think spending time
setting up LAN access is not worth it for me. I am happy to help by filing
an educated bug report, but there are many other buggy pieces of software on
Debian, which are easier to get to the root cause of.

So I guess my question is - can I get to the root cause of this GUI lock-up
with software means?

If you need additional information to answer my question, please tell
exactly what you need, I will try to get it.
Sent from the Debian User forum at Nabble.com.