Odp: Re: clarification regarding icons seen during a Debian installation.

white smiley appears on new created partition
black one -  when you change partition with data on it, e.g. change of mounting point

it's my private observation, not the manual ;))

regards
Zb

"Vivek Varghese Cherian " <vivekcherian@gmail.com>

2006-07-07 14:05

Do
"Willie Wonka" <floydstestemail@yahoo.com>
DW
debian-user@lists.debian.org
Temat

On 7/7/06, Willie Wonka <floydstestemail@yahoo.com> wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 06:56:31PM +0530, Vivek Varghese Cherian  wrote:
> > On 7/5/06, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >well, I did say IIRC, I don't exactly install Debian every day.  Maybe
> > >someone else has more concrete info for you?
> > >

> > Thanks for the info. If some one could get me a URL that provides the
answer
> > it would be nice.
> >
> > I remember reading about it some time back somewhere on the net, but
> > yesterday i could not find a URL that could clear this specific doubt of
> > mine even after using a search engine.
>
> i believe there is a "help" screen associated with the partitioning
> that explains the icons. I can't remember how to get to it as i too,
> hardly ever actually install, but its there some where.

hmmm.... FWIW; a quick google yields this atleast;
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/10/msg01041.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/12/msg00153.html

Maybe poke around ;
http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=partman

Some other possible 'keywords' to search with;
======================
[ Joey Hess ]
   * Removed all the fancy utf-8 symbols that noone understood (the
     tamagotchi, black smiley, white smiley, and lightning bolt).
     Just use the same letter abbrevs used in non-utf mode.
     Closes: #285350

I particularly like the skull-n-crossbones.....
w-o-o-g-i-e- b-o-o-g-i-e...spooky/scary ;-)

Regards

The thunder icon means that the partition is set as bootable. I have not yet got what the smiley stands for.

--
Vivek Varghese Cherian