Re: No menus on some multimedia apps (xmms, audacity)

Luis Hidalgo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Sarge 3.1 AMD64 port on an acer ferrari 4005, kernel 2.6.14.
> I'm a bit concerned with the fact that when I open some apps like xmmx
> or audacity, the menus have all the options and the programs behave
> the usual way, with a slight inconvenience:
>
> The labels of each option from the menus are invisible, so I have to
> guess what a particular option might do (by thinking in the usual
> order of File - New - ...). When I click "about" I get some weird
> boxlike characters (without numbers inside).
>
> I have to point out that this doesn't happen on any other app, and
> other multimedia apps (totem, gnome sound recorder) work just fine, I
> had to do some audio editing and I like audacity so I got it. The
> solution I initially used was to use some other app, but that really
> doesn't work, does it?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Luis

I'll wager a guess and say your FONT or LOCALE are messed up -- pertaining to
UTF-8 and default Languages / Keymap codes you have installed...etc

I think those 'numbers' instead of fonts is/are the UTF-8 representation in
code of wghat the font should be (mapped to).

I'm running Debian Sarge 3.1r2 (2.6.8-3-686) and have also recently installed
Audacity to use -- and it works ;-) ...I was even able to do my first ever
"Compile" (/.configure, make, make install) and install LAME just so I could
tell Audacity where the 'libmp3lame.so' file was, so Audacity could
Edit/Save/Export/Play in MP3 format. ;-)

I dont have those (your) issues -- but I have many other ones :-( (GTK+ related
during compilation).

Post the output of;
~$ cat /etc/locale.gen
en_US ISO-8859-1

Use;
~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
to alter what the system uses a default, and what's available

Regards