Re: Mount a CD-ROM automatically

Magnus Therning wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 13:26:26 -0300, Henrique Rennó wrote:

Hello!!!

I'd like to know if it is possible to mount a cd-rom automatically when
I put a cd in the cd-rom drive without needing to type mount /mnt/cdrom
for instance.

Do I have to add some options to /etc/fstab instead of auto that tells
to mount just at boot time??? Is there a module that should be
installed and what could it be???

automount and autofs are options. IIRC they both automatically mount a
device in a specific directory when someone tries to access that
directory.

If you're running a GNOME desktop then gnome-volume-manager+pmount can
take care of it.

/M

I don't believe that this will quite do what the poster requested. The automount packages assume that the 'device' is always available for mounting (as would be the case with an NFS exported directory). Its main purpose is to reduce the number of mounts and resources used by NFS when those shared locations are only used infrequently.

Assuming the configuration is correct, this means is the the user would need to 1) insert the CD; 2) 'cd' to, or 'ls' a file, in/under the mount point. The automounter would then mount the CD.

I think what the requester is after is automatic mounting of the CD *upon* insertion into the drive, whether or not anything is actually accessed. This is done using some form of hotplug support.

Since I'm just learning the details of hotpluging myself, I can't speak to the process or use of it. An 'apt-cache show hotplug' would get you started there.

On the other hand, the automount idea does work, just not quite the way the poster was thinking, so it may be an acceptable solution.

Bob