Re: xorg dies. Modules loaded in wrong order?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> This should really be a follow-up to another message I posted, which hasn't
arrived back yet.

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:21:37PM -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> >
> > hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

I would seriously consider following up on this lead;
try;
~$ dmesg | tail

~$ dmesg | grep -i agp

(try some other keywords in place of 'agp' too)

**** [ Remember I'm running Sarge/Xfree86, not Etch/Xorg, so YMMV ] ****
View the many other log files in '/var/log'. Check if in your /home you have
too many ~/.gdm or ~/.gnome entries -- I have in mine /.gnome, /.gnome2,
/.gnome2_private and I don't use GDM, I use KDM...and that may be the rub...
Check out the /etc/init.d/gdm file contents 'less /etc/init.d/gdm'

---------------
Here's some of my *KDM* script contents
[...]
# To start kdm even if it is not the default display manager, change
# HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER to "false."
HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true
DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE=/etc/X11/default-display-manager

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/kdm
PIDFILE=/var/run/kdm.pid
UPGRADEFILE=/var/run/kdm.upgrade

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0
[...]
--------------

----------------------------------
Compare that with my *GDM* contents

# To start gdm even if it is not the default display manager, change
# HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER to "false."
HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true
DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE=/etc/X11/default-display-manager

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/gdm
PIDFILE=/var/run/gdm.pid
UPGRADEFILE=/var/run/gdm.upgrade
------------------------------------

They are basically the SAME...both HEED the default display. I bring this up
because i suspect perhaps *sometimes* KDM may be trying to load?? I've run into
issues like that in the past.

When you do ctrl+alt+F1 do you see any errors about GDM or KDM ?
When I had issues; I would see comments like this
"GDM not starting, not the default display manager"

Now, after using 'sudo rcconf' to reconfigure my Startup Services/apps, in
which I unticked GDM altogether, that message is gone! All i see now is
"Starting K Display Manager: kdm." as the last entry/service started.

I had to d/l and install RCCONF
Do this to find out more about it;

$ apt-cache show rcconf

> > > Well, managed to install and boot to a new kernel -- 2.6.15.
> > > With the new kernel, have booted successfully to X and gdm twice in a
row.
> > > Might be fixed, or am I just lucky?  The problem was intermittent, after
all.

> > > -- hendrik
> > >

> > Have you seen;
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7
> >
> > Regards
> >

> Actually, the fix they have for gdm not starting is applicable if the symlink
/usr/X11R6/bin->../bin
> hasn't been established by x11-common.  Mine is there.

I see...
hmmmm

**** [ Remember I'm running Sarge/Xfree86, not Etch/Xorg, so YMMV ] ****

Here's the entirety of my /etc/X11/default-display-manager file
-----------------
/usr/bin/kdm
-----------------

Perhaps you have some (Xfree86) remnants leftover in any of the above mentioned
DIRs ?

Have you --purged whatever you don't use and 'removed' ?? Purging will get rid
of the Orig Config files (too) for that '<packagename>'.

Are you also using KDM ?? if not, use sudo rcconf to first stop the service
during boot and then perhaps;
~$ sudo apt-get remove kdm
~$ sudo apt-get --purge kdm

Obviously 'sudo' is only needed if you're not root

who knows? you might be able to combine it into one command using;
~$ sudo apt-get remove kdm && --purge kdm
but I'm not sure of that at all - and it doesn't take much more wqork to run
both commands separately.

Also note;
On my KDM login screen, I have Sub-menus which allow choosing different WMs,
and the choice "kdm" has *default* written next to it.

Do you use Gnome Control Center ??
In K Control Center, I configured mine to my $Username to "Auto Login" (No
passwd required)-- it boot's directly into KDE, so I hardly ever even see the
kdm login screen. One has to enter the Root passwd to gain "Admin" privileges
to alter these settings. Have you done that with yours?

Regards