Re: Re: /dev/lp0 rights and CUPS

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:25:58 +0200
Von: Olle Eriksson <subscriptions@olle-eriksson.com>
Betreff: Re: /dev/lp0 rights and CUPS

> On Monday 03 July 2006 19:31, Chris wrote:
> > I have added lp to /etc/modules as was suggested in another message to
> > this list.  Now I have  /dev/lp0 upon boot, but CUPS (localhost:631)
> > complains:
> >
> > "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission
> > denied"
> >
> > here are the versions I have installed.
> >
> > ii  cupsys         1.2.1-3        Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
> > server ii  udev           0.093-1        /dev/ and hotplug management
> > daemon
> >
> > and here are the rights I am getting with this setup
> >
> > crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2006-07-03 18:10 /dev/lp0
> >
> > why, oh why, can't udev and CUPS get along?   And how do I get udev to
> > set the rights of /dev/lp0 to lp:lp which according to another posting
> > is necessary to get let cupsd see it (it works if I manually do it)?
> >
> > I have the following in /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions
> >
> > printers/*:lp:lp:0660
> > usb/lp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> > usb/legousbtower[0-9]*:root:root:666
> > lp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> > parport[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> > irlpt[0-9]*:root:lp:0660
> > usblp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> >
> > Any suggestions would be greatly (really!) appreciated,
>
> I am no expert on udeb permission rules but that looks to me like you want
> the owner *and* group set to lp, with a permission of 660. But looking at
> the output of ls above you get root as the owner. Anyway that's what it
> looks like on my setup as well. I haven't had time to work with the udeb
> permissions (don't even have a udev.permissions on my etch setup), but I
> only got it to work when I set the permissions to 666. I do that from a
> startup script now. Not very nice I know but it works. Let me know if it
> helps.

I guess I wasn't clear in my previous post, the changes I made to udev.permissions did *not* change the owner from root to lp on the next boot.

I did change the "printers" in the rules file (as suggested for the usb entry in previous post in this thread) and that seems to have worked.

Can some of the more experienced Debian users on this list explain what is going on here?  It seems obvious to me that cupsd should be run with rights that allow it to access printers, shouldn`t it?

Thanks,

Chris