Re: Xwindows and Emacs

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:47:04PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> >  Long ago, I was a RedHat user. When I moved to Debian, I kept a copy
> >  of a file, .Xresources, that made Emacs display under X in a way that
> >  I liked.  Now in trying to use Etch, I discover that the file doesn't
> >  work quite the way I want under xserver-xorg. I want to tweek it, but
> >  can't find docs that address my questions in a way that I recognize. I
> >  think my main issue is with the line:
> >
> >  emacs*font: fixed
>
> See if you have an app called xfontsel.  It's a GUI point and click
> interface to fonts.  Note the "spc" column.  For terminal fonts, "c"
> and "m" apply.  "p" is for proportional fonts, and don't work well in
> terminal based apps.
>
> "fixed" is defined by the X Window system as the fallback default
> non-proportional (aka. fixed) spacing font, but there's many others to
> choose from.  Fiddling with xfontsel for a bit will teach you a lot
> about this.

This description of "fixed" is very helpful. I had thought it had to
be something like what you describe, but I haven't found any explanation
by googling.

My adventure began when I noticed that "fixed" provided a different
font under xorg from the one I have been getting under xfree. From
this, I conclude it is implementation dependent. I'd like to find
where this default is set in xfree, and simply copy what is there into
my xorg resources. It seems to me a better way to get what I want than
searching vast libraries of weird fonts with my limited search skills.

But there is something incomplete about your explanation: when I don't
but the magic line into my resources, I still get a monospace font in
emacs windows, but it is a different one. So there appear to be two
defaults, the "fixed" one and the nil one. Do you happen to know where
the nil one is defined? Might that be in emacs?

Thanks, again.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net