Postfix under Debian 3.1 not working

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Debian 3.1 and am having problems configuring Postfix.  I've Googled around a bit and there are plenty of people blaming other people but the long and the short of it is that Postfix isn't working.

I'm using the "normal" maps - simple hash maps.  I've played around with DNS settings, both resolv.conf's and many other things but continue to get the exact same error:

Jul  3 22:47:30 localhost postfix/virtual[28250]: fatal: gethostbyname: Success

This is using the most recent Postfix that apt-get will get me along with everything - except for the newest kernel (I'm at 2.6.8-2-686) - else that can be upgraded.

Any thoughts?  Thanks for any help.