Re: Etch Beta 2 / USB Floppy

Bob Smither wrote:

> I am trying to install the testing distribution on a PIII Sony Viao
> laptop.  The laptop cd drive cannot be used to boot from (3rd party
> PCMCIA drive) and the floppy is a usb drive.

Hmm, I can boot from my Vaio PCMCIA CD-ROM drive. I did need to add
"ide2=0x180,0x386" when booting the installer though, otherwise the
installer can't see the drive. (e.g. "install ide2=0x180,0x386)

> After coming up, the install prompts for the root.img.  When I press
> enter at this point, there is an oops and the usb floppy cannot be
> found.  I am guessing that the install is at this point using its own
> floppy driver and it expects a proper, non-usb, device.

I know I had to get some custom boot floppies to install from the USB
floppy drive. That was quite some time ago, maybe it has now been fixed.

Here are the disks I used:

http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~blochedu/usb-install/images/

Hope this helps,

--