Re: Have DVD burner, will backup!

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:54:49AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 11:52 PM, David E. Fox wrote:
>
> [Long discourse on backups and how they were done ten years ago.]
>

> >>2. External hard disks are slightly less portable than DVD's.
> >>
> >>3. External hard disks *might* take up slightly more phhysical space
> >>over DVD's, depending on the size/density of the disk.
> >
> >And you can't really just plug them in (hotswap) as easily either.
> >They're more of a permanently "there" setup. OTOH, several years ago I
> >visited a local shop where they had these external "cage" things where
> >you could just plug an HD in from the outside, and not have to open
> >the
> >case. Of course, you can simply connect a USB or firewire drive
> >without
> >having to open the case, and likely without having to power down the
> >system to change drives.
>
> I think part of this chain is my comments.  I was definitely
> referring to USB or FIrewire drives.  Those removable trays are
> useless for backups, as they require system downtime to swap them.
> Nothing needs that nowadays.
>
> Plug in a USB drive, rsync, unplug it and store is somewhere safe.
> Done.

I've had problems with USB cages to wrap hard disks, but none with
IDE cages.  Maybe a bum cage?  The downtime is a problem, but I don't
need all of my machines to be up 24/7.  23.95/7 is quote enough.  In any
case, I can put the cage in a lesser-used machine on my LAN and use NFS.
Except my NFS is still choking on files > 4G.

-- hendrik