xorg + translucent windows

Hi,

After about a year I finally got translucent windows to work.

I have a dual-seat setup: 2 monitors/videocards/keybds/mice/xservers + sid.

A year ago I had TNT2 AGP + MX440 PCI cards, that needed NVIDIA driver 7167 which would hang in the "screen frozen but mouse moves" bug using sid and an xorg backport.

Then I replaced the TNT2 with an MX4000 and used the NVIDIA 8762 driver which would oops at startup.

I then switched my primary display to the MX440 PCI and the oops went away, upon a good suggestion of James van Zeeland.

Then both seamonkey1.0.2 and ff1.5.0.4 would die with a "BatMatch Error" when Flash was involved.

Because of a post by Christopher Sean Hilton I had to change the default depth of the two screens on xorg.conf to 24 instead of 16. Why was that set at 16? Who knows.

Result: translucent windows on both screens, no oopses, no x errors.