Locales destroy X key repeat!

when I

dpkg-reconfigure locales

and set "All locales"

the key repeat in X is broken afterwards (random numbers of the same char no matter how long or short i press the key)

I installed debian from zero (because I couldn't fix the "could not find 'fixed' font" error that a lot of people, who had to purge and reinstall xorg, had)

so I comment everything in /etc/enviroment because I don't like how it messes up the "dir" output in bash (case-insensitive sorting) but the broken keyrepeat is again NOT fixable...

This REALLY sucks. And if someone could tell me how to fix this mess it would really be appreciated.

Dirk