Environment Variables available from Crontab

Dear All
My crontab calls a script that I'd like to be able to read an
environmental variable that I've created.

My question is , where can I create/initialize this environment variable
so that it is accesible to this script? Each time this script is called
by crontab it would change the environment variable, as it is some sort
of counter...

>From what I gather /etc/profile is only used by login scripts? So it
would be of no use?

Thanks for your help