possible screen problem

Hi
I recantly installed Debian 3.1 on with a dual boot system (Windows XP).
I had some problems with xfree86 and found that installing x.org from backports worked.

I am now noticing in the bottom right of my screen a discolouration (blue shows up green and red shows up purpleish etc)
while cofiguring x i used the the "medium" choice for determining my monitor frequencies and set it to a level below Windows (windows is at 75hz and I set X.org to 60hz)

my question is: have I done something to damage my screen? is it related to the linux install? or is it just a faulty screen (computer is about 18 months old Dell).

thanks

Bill