Re: Newbie video configuration -- Monitor and video settings

On (15/05/06 20:12), Benjamin Sher wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net>
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:12:53 -0400
> Subject: Newbie video configuration -- Monitor and video settings
>
> Dear friends:
>
> I am about to install Debian once again. I made a mistake originally in
> the video setting.
>
> I have a Sony SDM-S73 TFT LCD Color 17 inch monitor which, it says,
> fully complies with the DDC Plug & Play standards with Nvidia GeForece 2
> AGP card for 3D Accelaration.
>
> What precisely should I choose during Install. I want to be able to see
> Debian with full optimum display in accordance with my monitor and card
> without having to configure it afterwards. What you recommend. I would
> really appreciate if you could be precise.

There's no need to reinstall, unless you have a real desire to do so.
If you do:

$ sudo pkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (or xserver-xorg depending onwhich is
installed)

That will take you through the same process for configuring X during the
install. Alternatively you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf by hand.

If you aren't sure what details you need, boot into a Knoppix or similar
live CD and check out the settings in the xorg.conf file .

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...