Re: another font problem in xorg

Hi, Arne. You wrote:

> When I use X applications which don't use fontconfig, but the
> plain old X method to find fonts (e.g. fontforge), I get
> complaints like this: [..]

The X font locations have changed. Instead of /usr/lib/X11/fonts
they are now in /usr/share/fonts/X11. /etc/X11/xorg.conf should
reflect this.

All font packages should know that they have to install themselves
(when upgraded) to their new location, but not all of them do this
yet AFAIK; xfonts-efont-unicode still goes to the old location.
This has actually been reported as a bug egainst efont.

Because I have configured my xterm to use the e-fonts, that means
that the old location for misc should remain in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

In my case I have therefore:

Section "Files"
  FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
  FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
# path to defoma fonts
  FontPath   "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Note that Speedo has gone. The new X does not use Speedo fonts any
more.

BTW several other important files for character handling have also
moved: the xkb hierarchy and the Compose file. So if you did any
customisations on them, you may find they do not work any more
(until you customise them in their new locations).

Regards, Jan