Re: dvd burning

Christopher Nelson writes:

> Welcome to the community.  If you have questions, this list is a good
> place to find answers :)

Thanks indeed ;)

Rodolfo:

>> As a Mandrake 10.1 user, I used to burn dvds as well as cds with cdrecord;
>> but now with Debian 3.1 it seems that I can't.

Christopher:

> Not with stock cdrecord as it's distributed by Debian.

Rodolfo:

>> In `/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian' it says:
>>

>> cdrecord does not support DVD recording. If you need it you have the
>> following options:
>>
>> * cdrecord-ProDVD

Christopher:

> Never used this

Rodolfo:

>> * dvd+rw-tools

Christopher:

> This is what I have installed, but I haven't used it.
>
>> * dvdrtools

Christopher:

> This is what I used to use, and has similiar syntax to cdrecord, IIRC.
> 'dvdrecord dev=/dev/foo -[d,s,t]ao foo.iso'

Rodolfo:

>> * Apply the dvdrecord-patch to cdrecord and compile it yourself:
>>     apt-get source cdrtools
>>     cd cdrtools-<version>
>>     fakeroot debian/rules dvd=yes cdrecord

Christopher:

> That shouldn't be too hard, but if a package works I'd use it instead.

Rodolfo:

>> What do you Debian users think is the best solution?

Christopher:

Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> this is what I have on an etch system;
>
> dpkg -l | grep dvd+
> ii  dvd+rw-tools       6.1-2                          DVD+-RW/R tools
>
> dpkg -l | grep cdr
> ii  cdrdao             1.2.1-6                        records CDs in Disk-At-Once (DAO) mode
> ii  cdrecord           2.01+01a03-5                   command line CD writing tool
>
> I would "assume" you could use the same. I burn dvd's from the shell,
> not from any gui.

Thanks indeed,
I've already started with dvd+rw-tools and think I'm going to use
this.

Cheers,
Rodolfo

P.S:: Christopher, it's not clear to me what you're using now after all... ;)