Re: (Slightly OT) TZ settings for outgoing mail?

Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is the mail client responsible for setting the time on outgoing mail?
> I am running Sarge, with exim 3.36-16 and Thunderbird 1.0.2.  I used
> to live on the east coast (of the US) and am now living on the west
> coast (3 TZs later).
>
> Output of tzconfig:
> Your current time zone is set to US/Pacific
>
> Output of date:
> Wed May 10 08:34:29 PDT 2006
>
> But when I send e-mail, the header gets US/Atlantic time:
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:57:20 -0400
>
> The header above should have the time as: 07:57:20 -0700
>
> The actual UTC time is the same, but it looks like I am sending e-mail
> from the east coast, instead of the west coast.
>
> Thunderbird is also displaying the time of incoming mails as if I were
> still on the east coast.  This means that e-mail that was just sent
> and received is showing a time that appears to be three hours in the
> future.
>
> I don't know if this has been happening since we moved, and I just
> noticed it, or if something has caused this to revert, somehow.  Can
> anyone tell me where this is set so that I can correct this?

Take a look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Time_and_time_zone_settings

Anything funny in your user.js? (if you have one)

Which desktop environment are you using?  There the time is displayed
correctly, I suppose?

Any other software showing this behavior?

Matthias