Turning on direct rendering with an ATI card

Hi,

I am trying to turn on direct rendering using the Xorg (from unstable, along
with the linux-image-2.6.16-1-k7 from unstable) ATI driver with no success.
The machine is at a remote location which makes the problem a bit tougher to
debug.

I have turned on direct rendering on several machines (my laptop with ATI card
is one), so I have some experience, and things usually just work with little
futzing around.

The user has reported that glxinfo indicates that direct rendering is not
turned on.  lsmod shows that  drm and agpgart modules are loaded along with
the associated nvidia_agp module.  Doing a grep on drm from dmesg shows that
the R300 drm microcode is loaded.

The Xorg.log indicates that the "ati" driver is used and that direct rendering
is activated.  The /dev/dri/card0 is probed and found.  Every indication from
the Xorg.log suggests that direct rendering is available, but glxinfo and
glxgears -printfps suggest otherwise.

I have the libdrm2 installed as well as the relevant xorg software,
xlibmesa-dri, and libgl1-mesa-dri.

I am a bit at a loss what is missing and where to look, since normally, things
just work.  I have restarted X and rebooted the machine just to be sure that
kernel modules are loaded.

Thanks,

John Schmidt