Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Monday 08 May 2006 13:47, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 May 2006 06:55, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > Why so complicated? Just give people the option to *choose* between
> > > public or private SS programs. The same for schooling. If I send my
> > > children to a private school I wouldn't have to pay the tax and even
> > > get back what I already payed since I started working. That would
>
> make
>
> > > public schools compete against private schools.
> >
> > Let's do the same for city streets, the courts, civic buildings, sewer
>
> pipes,
>
> > and traffic lights while we're at it.  God knows I rarely to never use
>
> any of
>
> > that crap...
>
> I don't think you read what I wrote. Let me emphasize *again*:
> *_choose_*. A parent should be able to at *_choose_* whether he sends
> his children to a public or private school, without having to pay twice!
>
> A person should be able to *_choose_* whether he wants to use the
> public SS program or use similar private offerings.

I read what you wrote, but what you suggest would mean, by extension, I should
be able to choose who I flush my toilet through (as opposed to just the
city's sewer), whose streets I drive on (government monopoly on
transportation right now), and choose who I have for a president (supreme
court does that anymore).  But it's just not going to ever happen in the US.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber