Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 11:47:15PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 06 May 2006 06:55, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >
> > > Why so complicated? Just give people the option to *choose* between
> > > public or private SS programs. The same for schooling. If I send my
> > > children to a private school I wouldn't have to pay the tax and even
> > > get back what I already payed since I started working. That would
> make
> > > public schools compete against private schools.
> >
> > Let's do the same for city streets, the courts, civic buildings, sewer
> pipes,
> > and traffic lights while we're at it.  God knows I rarely to never use
> any of
> > that crap...
>
> I don't think you read what I wrote. Let me emphasize *again*:
> *_choose_*. A parent should be able to at *_choose_* whether he sends
> his children to a public or private school, without having to pay twice!
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Public schools are for education other people's children. You pay for that
in your taxes whether or not you have children. It's part of the general
welfare. Keeps them off the streets. Hopefully, gives them enough training
so that you might be willing to hire them to pick you cotton, etc. Maybe
even reduces the need for more jails.

And, you get to *choose* something else for your own children, if you can
pay for it. But you are not paying twice. You are paying once, your share
for everybody, and once for your own.

Of course, if you can't pay, you can't choose. And don't claim the current
tax rate is confiscatory. What would your money income be, if you were living
in a place without roads, sewers, courts, and schools for the proto-criminals?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net