Re: Floppy stuff [was Re: What is the dd command ???]

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:02:10PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

>>>Andrew wrote...

[snip]
microwave (he he)

I'd think that would burn it up, not degauss it :-)

a quick google search turned that up as a possible way to degauss a
disk (including such other dubios methods as putting it in a vacuum
cleaner). The reasoning was that the microwave would have a
sufficient field strength to do it. Not. But if you leave it in long
enough the metal shield over the access port will arc to the
hub. That's pretty exciting!

http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/index.html
http://www.amasci.com/weird/microexp.html
http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/microwave/
http://www.everist.org/special/mw_oven/

Google for
	+microwave +oven +fun

turned up 1,600,000 hits. The first couple are places I have
seen before. One guy claims he lived through his experiences,
but I have doubts. His web site may be "ghost written".

[The pun is the highest form of humor, since it is spontaneous.]

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.