Re: Merging dirs with (almost) same name

Magnus Therning wrote:

>On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:45:24AM +0200, listrcv wrote:
>

>>Magnus Therning wrote:
>>

>>>top/sub1/sub2
>>>top/Sub1/sub2
>>>Is there some way (other than mounting a case insensitive file system,
>>>such as FAT) to merge these directories?
>>>

>>How did you manage to split up the directories?
>>

>It's a p4[1] depot, running on a Windows machine, with the vast majority of
>clients being Windows machines as well. The server and the other users
>don't have this problem since they all use a case insensitive filesystem.
>Unfortunately for me, they also use a case preserving filesystem, which
>results in me having this problem.
>

>>How do you define 'merge'?
>>

>"The end result is a dir hierarchy similar to what I'd get on Windows."
>
>Server filename    Win client filename  Lnx client filename
>---------------    -------------------  -------------------
>top/foo.txt        top/foo.txt          top/foo.txt
>Top/bar.txt        top/bar.txt          Top/bar.txt
>
>On Windows I end up with only one directory, 'top', on Linux with two
>'top' and 'Top'. I can't change the p4 client and it doesn't have any
>configuration option to change its behaviour in this respect. What I'd
>like is a tool that will merge 'top' and 'Top' into one directory.
>
>(I am aware this probably will screw up p4's view on my local work
>space, but I really couldn't care less in this particular case.)
>

>>What would you do with files like
>>
>> top/sub1/sub2/foo.txt
>> top/Sub1/sub2/foo.txt
>> top/Sub1/Sub2/Foo.txt
>>
>>?
>>

>This problem simply doesn't exist due to the nature of the filesystem on
>the server :-)
>

>>Check out the --backup option of cp; find, xargs and eventually sed may
>>also be helpful.
>>

>Could you offer some more information on how this could be helpful?
>AFAICS it's about as helpful as saying "Check out Python, it may be
>helpful" (you can replace Python with your favourite scripting language
>of course :-).
>
>/M
>
>1. http://perforce.com/

I have not tested this, but a google resulted in:

http://www.maazl.de/project/misc/dsync.html

Here's an excerpt form the website:

-cs Enable case sensitive filenames. By default, the all operations are
case-insensitive but case-preserving. - /Perl version only!

I suspect that it is mainly tested on windows machines, so ymmv.
/