Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

> Matthias Julius wrote:
>> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>>

>>>The problem is that public schools are very wasteful.
>>

>> Is there no way of improving this?  There were examples of public
>> schools brought up in this thread that actually do work.
>>
> Again, the problem is that the lack of a profit motive hampers efficiency.

Is there no other way to create a motive other than money?

>> Do you believe private schools would be a lot cheaper than they are
>> now and still maintaining a high standard?
>>
> Absolutely.  I volunteer teach at my church's academy (K-12).  They
> charge about $2000/year in tuition becauase they want to stay affordable
> to the working class families in the meighborhood where the church is
> located.  They do an absolutely bang-up job.  Far better than most
> public schools (and I had an *outstanding* public school experience).

This has nothing to do with a profit oriented, competetive business.
Do you think this could be a wide-spread model based on donations?

> Please go and review Maslow's Hierarchy of Need.  Basically, you need
> food, clothes, shelter and physical security (e.g., survival) to live.
> Everything else is a bonus.

I would add education to that.  While it is not required for the
functioning of the human body it is essential to be part of our
society.

Matthias