Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:

> How do you recognize well-intentioned and law-abiding citizens?  What
> makes this difficult is that people change.  They buy a gun as a
> well-intentioned and law-abiding citizen in case they need to defend
> themselfes.  Then a while later when they are upset or drunk they find
> they have a gun handy and do harm somebody else.  A lot of such
> violent crimes are committed out of an emotional reaction.  While
> taking away guns may not completely prevent all such crimes ti might
> make them less harmfull.  Using a gun is too easy.

So, because little Johnny *might* misbehave, the whole third grade is
not allowed to attend the museum field trip.  Yup, that's definitely the
way to go.

>>I can easily foresee a possible need for heroin or cocaine. Any
>>problem arises when one wishes to do unlawful things (things which
>>harm others). Why should the law-abiding pay for those who do not
>>wish to abide by the common rules of free men?  for instance, if
>>some people use guns to threaten/harm others why would a government
>>disallow guns to the common free man who will only use them in
>>defense of his family and possessions?
>

> Maybe if noone had a gun to threaten you with you wouldn't need one to
> defend yourself?

If I was in my home and some invader came in, I would not want to first
find out what he was carrying and get a matching weapon.  That is
lunacy.  I want to know that I can defend myself.  Besides, how will
make sure that noone has a gun?

>>Maybe so that same government could pass imminent domain laws to
>>take away legal possessions from that man?  Fear your government,
>>any type of government.
>

> Isn't that a bit paranoid?

I don't think so.  I mean, the founding fathers *created* the
government, yet they still feared it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez