Re: problems in gnome/gdm after weekend etch upgrade

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 02:09:34PM +0200, Kai Olsen wrote:

> >I run etch on my laptop system, and I usually do a dist-upgrade each
> >weekend to keep up to date.
> >

> Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a dist-upgrade some kind of
> overkill if you've already got etch installed? A normal update/upgrade
> seems to be adequate...

A normal upgrade will often work, but testing is a moving target, with
packages being added and renamed and dependencies being changed, so a
dist-upgrade is sometimes necessary to get a full upgrade.  Once etch
becomes 'stable', a dist-upgrade should rarely be necessary.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'