Re: DPI setting

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:16:49AM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2006 08:33:50 +0100
> Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > > Depending on how you start X, you may be starting it with the -dpi
> > > option. (my gdm.conf uses: `X -dpi 96')
> > > AFAIK, this will override any DisplaySize settings in xorg.conf.
> >
> > That was it! - except it was in /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf not
> > /etc/gdm/gdm.con, which is why I missed it..
> >
> > Beats me why a display manager would think that it had a better idea
> > of the screen resolution than the X server, but its fixed now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DigbyT
>
> Keep an eye on this one. /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf is not listed as
> a configuration file, so it will be overwritten without warning on the
> next upgrade to gdm. Better to override the setting in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
> instead.

Agreed - customizing the content of /usr/share is probably not a good
idea, and certainly should not be made necessary.

There probably needs to be a comment in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf pointing to
where default values are being obtained, as it took me a while to find
out why there were no servers listed in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com