Re: Handling apt-get, apt-cdrom, sources.list, cdroms.list

Arafangion wrote:

> In a nutshell, you need to be able to get the *source code*, not just
> the compiled binaries in order to make use of build-dep.
> You have two *binary* CD's, do you have a source CD?  You need to get
> them. (And the versions must be the same, afaik)

Rodolfo:

Chris Metzler wrote:

> Do you not have network access from that machine?  If so, just add
> some network sources to your sources.list, and pull the source from
> over the net.

Rodolfo:

Kevin Mark wrote:

>> > Apt-cdrom 'registers' in the /etc/apt/sources.list you CD's. You have
>> > registerd binary packages cds. You can get the MATCHING source packages
>> > cd or add entries to the sarge repo for both deb and deb-src BUT this
>> > will mean you will need to update your sarge to the latest point release
>> > (apt-get update).

Rodolfo:

>> Could you suggest *how* to get the MATCHING source packages cd?

Kevin:

> Hi R,
> here is the page to look for mirrors[0]. Follow the links to either ISO,
> Bittorrend or Jigdo links. Or you can buy some CD/DVD's from various
> vendors or LUGs.
> Cheers,
> Kev
> [0] http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

Thanks indeed to Kevin, thanks indeed to all.
I will be looking for vendors here in Italy.
Meanwhile, I solved the problem the following way:

My /etc/apt/sources.list was the following:

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main

# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

. I added to sources.list the following two lines:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

, then connected to internet and did:

# apt-get update

. I disconnected, and did:

# apt-get build-dep emacs21

, and got the following output:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting libtiff4-dev instead of libtiff-dev
  autotools-dev build-essential dpatch libice-dev libjpeg62-dev
  liblockfile-dev libncurses5-dev libpng12-dev libpng3-dev libsm-dev
  libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0 libungif4-dev libungif4g libx11-dev libxaw7-dev
  libxext-dev libxi-dev libxmu-dev libxmuu-dev libxp-dev libxpm-dev
  libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev libxtrap-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev
  pm-dev render-dev x-dev xaw3dg xaw3dg-dev xlibs-dev xlibs-static-dev
  zlib1g-dev
  libice6 libsm6 libx11-6 libxaw7 libxext6 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6
  libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1 zlib1g
16 upgraded, 36 newly installed, 0 to remove and 83 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.3MB/12.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 26.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

. I said 'no' and then installed the packages Debian wanted to install,
*without* the upgradings. Then I installed emacs cvs fine, just as I wanted,
using *nothing* else but my two DVDs.
Do you think it is a good solution?

Cheers,
Rodolfo