Re: Etch on USB-HD wont boot - race condition?

[snip]

>I tried fooling with this a few months ago and failed. I tried it
with
>SUSE, Debian-test&sid and RIP.  Everything works to a point where
Linux
>kernel cannot find itself or root partition as it boots half way
thru.

Right on target!

>  I reverted to simply putting RIP (RecoveryIsPossible) on my USB-HD
for
>now in a VFAT partition-sda1, using GRUB on sda4 to boot that or
>partitions on hda or hdc on my thinkpad-t42.

I don't think I know RIP. Any info?

>As to fear of adding linux to hda and hdb no problem, done it many
times
>without affecting WinJunk.

I need all the space I can get on the windoze disk as I use it as a
DVD-recorder for the TV. But you're right, a basic install doesn't use
much space, and I might end op with using a couple of gigs on hda for
the root fs.

>If you arrive at a solution I hope you post it here.  I do not
expect
>this to get on the forum, for many of my replies get lost.

Well, George... It's probably because you answered directly to my
email-adr and not to the list :-) I too have to edit the "To:" line
when answering mails on the list.

Cheers. Kai.