Re: df discrepencies

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Mon, 01 May 2006 09:14:03 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

<snip>

I'm going on very hazy memory here, but it might give you enough info
for googling. If I recall correctly, the system wants at least 10%
free for "system overhead"; as 20Gig is only about 5% of your 440Gig
partition, that's why it's showing as 100% used.

Why rebooting would change this number is beyond me.

This would make sense with a journaling filesystem such as ext3.
Immediately after a reboot the journal is empty.

Thanks Kent, Liam and Martin for the quick responses. I wasn't entirely clear on the situation -- the machine didn't always show this discrepency, so I don't think it's due to the "system overhead" sort of thing.

I've deleted some more files since my previous email, so here's the current output of df -h

/dev/sda1             440G  396G   22G  95% /backup

and here's df -i

/dev/sda1            58589184 9980656 48608528   18% /backup

so it seems i have plenty of available inodes

After rebooting I get:

/dev/sda1             440G  396G   22G  95% /backup

so that didn't actually fix things like I thought it might -- sorry for the bad info on that in my original email

I am absolutely certain that in the past I've seen output similar to the following:

/dev/sda1             440G  431G     9G  98%

and over time, this "degrades" to the present situation -- it does appear to me that the 2nd and 3rd columns are definitive (and that the 4th column is in error) because the rsync scripts that ran last night all seemed to succeed in writing to this partition despite the fact that column 4 was reporting 0 as the available disk space.

	be well,
		~c