Re: Will wine|win4lin|VMWare save my XP bacon?

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:37:52 -0500
Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> WinXP partition has to be on the "first" drive.  The machine I'm
> writing this email on has, at times, had WinXP on the second drive; to
> accomplish this trick you need to lie to the BIOS using the 'map'
> feature of GRUB.  If you only have 2 IDE hard drives, you'd do it
> something like this:
>
> 	map	(hd0) (hd1)
> 	map	(hd1) (hd0)
>
> This trick the BIOS (and WinXP) into thinking its on drive C:.

I do this same thing with  my XP install on /dev/hdb1 and lilo and it works great. In the event your mapping doesn't work...

I recommend you REMOVE your /dev/hda, move the /dev/hdb over to where /dev/hda was, making it /dev/hda. Then get out your windows cd, or recovery disk or whatever malarkey you've got and fix it. There are a couple tools you can use to fix the boot, if its actually broken. Then use the map trick and shuffle you're disks back around and enjoy.