Debian Package DWWW

Unable to resist the compulsion to tinker with my
working Debian system, I've gone and screwed up my
DWWW installation.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/doc/dwww

When it was working, the ability to search for, and
read Debian system documention via a web browser made
learning things about Debian much easier.

The problem is I've grown impatient with the somewhat
deliberate pace which new(er) versions of major
applications like Apache, MySql, and PHP are added.
So, I started downloading source directly from the
application's home page, and compiling it myself.

Naturally, doing this, has forced me to handle the
various package dependencies, and differing pathnames
myself. (Yes, I know, apt-get, and other automated
installation tools will handle these details for me,
if I was satisfied with somewhat old(er)
applications.)

Now I'm stuck with broken DWWW installation.

deb-reconfigure --force dwww

nearly worked. At least I can now browse to the
virtual location where DWWW presents a page where I
can enter search terms, but the results are returned
as an error page 'permission denied'. Looking in the
Apache logs, I get 'attempting to invoke a directory
as a script'.

/cgi-bin/dwww is the problem directory. The referrer
is one of the scripts in /var/www/dwww.

Can someone tell me where DWWW expects to find its
scripts?

I see they are somewhat scattered around the
filesystem. I've looked at the file list, and
pathnames which result when dpkg is invoked with -L,
but it doesn't make clear which scripts are going into
/cgi-bin/. Doesn't seem to be any dwww scripts put
into that directory anyway.

Perhaps, it is the way I've declared/defined the
directory to apache in /etc/dwww/apache.conf that
causes apache to attempt to invoke that directory as a
script.

At any rate, I've run out of ideas or don't recognize
the problem when I see it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Note: for those unfamiliar with Debian's apt-get,
   apt-get install dwww
will handle all the details for you, and you'll have
apache, and dwww, and the necessary library files
installed correctly for you. Other installers work in
a similiar fashion.

regards
Ernest