Re: lost my root password, howto ?

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:04:00AM +0200, Zouari Fourat wrote:
> thanks for helping
> Is there a case were the root password is unrecoverable.
> Or is there any possibility to let a root password unresetable ?
> Am just thinking ..
>
> On 3/31/06, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:10:48PM +0200, Zouari Fourat wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I've got debian sarge installed and i've lost my root's password, how
> > > to reset it ?
> > >

> > Look at:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-crackroot

 Everything I know about how to deal with forgotten passwords comes
from reading the Debian Reference Manual (DRM). I've never actually
had to do it. The answer to your question might be in that document. I
haven't read it carefully enough to know for sure.
 I don't have bios passwords on any of my computers. I do have console
access to all of them, and to a copy of the DRM. If I ever get into
trouble, I'll use it and find out if it is telling the truth.
 If you use the DRM, and it doesn't help, by all means tell about your
experience here. Maybe one of the authors of DRM will use your report
to edit improvements into the manual. Or file a bug report.
 But I bet it will solve your problem. I have faith in Debian.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net