X Windows Fonts with Symbols?

I would like to write some text which includes the symbols for Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs. I know that some years ago I had a word processor with fonts which included these symbols but now I can't find any. I used xfontsel to examine the symbol and dingbats fonts with no success. Thinking I was missing something I wrote a couple of lines of C++ to display the ascii characters from 40 to 255 but it didn't show anything beyond character 127 - presumably because I haven't yet figured out how to change fonts in the program.

I'll struggle with this some more tomorrow but if I am missing something obvious I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Specifically, I have started learning Perl-Tk from the widget program and the man page and I would like to write text on the canvas widget which includes the playing card symbols.

Tom George