Re: locked out from gdm - input field greyed out

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:25 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> B.Hoffmann wrote:
>
> [...]

> > Tried to start gnome-session from the command line after logging in and
> > get "Gtk-WARNING**:cannot open display:"
> >
> > Is there a way to edit gdm.conf from the command line? And how to
> > display the file for editing?
>
> You need to edit the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. From your question I get
> the impression that you know this already, but that you are unfamiliar
> with the standard text editors. You could use vi or joe after having a
> look at the tutorials on NewbieDOC:
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Articles#Text_editing
>
> A different approach to solve your problem might be to try to reinstall
> gdm with the standard configuration files which are included in the
> Debian package. The following command will do that (as root)
>
> apt-get --reinstall install gdm
>
> It should detect that the configuration files have been changed and
> offer you a dialog with the option to replace them with the ones from
> the package.
>
> Regards,
>             Florian

Yes, thank you Florian! I am indeed totally unfamiliar with Vi, Emacs,
Nano and so on as a relative newcomer to all things *nix - try to keep
it graphical although text mode is more powerful and sometimes
indispensable as we see here.

I ended up removing gdm and it starts fine now with startx straight into
gnome! Will probably leave it at that and not reinstall gdm, sort of
reminds me of Slackware.

Kind Regards,
B.Hoffmann

Linux User #398054

-Foresight Linux- -Ubuntu- -Debian (Sarge)-