Re: Netlimiter liike tool

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:20:38 -0800
Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> Andreas Rippl wrote:
> > Which leads us to your options:
>
>     Why does this hostile crap always come out to a simple request.  "Does
> this exist?"  If not why always, ALWAYS is it "write your own", "Live with
> what you get" or "get outta here"?  What is so hard with a simple, "No, it
> doesn't."  Jeez.

well, Steve, to be honest, I was offended by the responses you were giving to everyone's attempts to help you. Maybe its a simple misunderstanding, but here's my take on it. I put up the first response telling you "google is your friend" and pointing you to a debian admin article on traffic shaping. This is a subject that I don't know much about, but I'm interested to learn so I did a little research. a google of traffic shaping and debian came up with tons of responses that all looked useful. I followed a few of them and came to the realisation that 1) its a big subject with many tools and 2) if you did what I did you'd likely find what you needed. You mentioned nothing in your original post about google and it apparent inadequacies. Your response to me was a very abrupt "google is not my friend and rarely is my friend" (paraphrasing) which is immaterial and also not my problem. Then you went on to question whether *I* had done adequate research into *YOUR* problem. This was followed up with repeated trashing of those tools that are out there.

Sorry man, but that just rubbed me the wrong way. Your responses to others have been in the same vein. I'm sorry if we haven't been of any help to you. We tried. We made some suggestions on where to look and tried to provide a solution that we thought fit your requirements. You mentioned apache, so one respondent put up an apache solution. Doesn't work for you and that's fine, but its not his responsibility to go find *YOUR* ultimate solution, but only to provide what help he deems appropriate.

To answer your question above, "Does this exist?" Well, apparently none of us actually know, and since you're the one with the list of requirements, its up to you to decide based on the evidence whether one does or not. Since it appears nothing quite fits your bill, then a simple, "Well, nothing quite fits what I'm looking for, but thanks for your suggestions" is all that is required. And it leaves a nice record for the next person to come along looking for Netlimiter functionality.

Meanwhile, Andreas is right: based on your responses, nothing existing is going to work for you which leaves you with the choices he gave you. Is it hostile? yeah, probably a little, but no less hostile that your responses have been in this whole thread.

FTR, I'm just laying it out as I see it. I'm human and fallible and do not mean to offend. I'm trying to explain my interpretation of what is likely a big communication breakdown.

best

Andrew