Re: help

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:34:05 -0800 (PST)
patrick bourne <bon2112us@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: "Patrick Bourne" <bon2112@peoplepc.com>
> To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: help with installation
> Date: Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:23 AM
>
> Hello,   I have recently downloaded the businesscard
> image for the stable release of the debian OS. Can I
> use this version along with Windows 98 or would you
> recommend installing debian by itself. I went to the
> command prompt and typed -  cd  D:\debian and it
> changed to the D drive which is my CD ROM drive.  I
> had my installation cd in the drive but I cannot
> initiate the installation.  The business card release
> has 30 MB of data and I put it on a CD. Will this make
> a difference.

Johannes has already adequately answered your questions, but from the information you have provided, I suggest you do some serious reading about dual-boot systems before you proceed. To run both debian and windows on the same machine, you will  be mucking with the MBR of your hard drive. You will need to be sure you have all your ducks in a row before you start. This includes having a bootable rescue cd on hand nd making a good backup of your win system before you start.

There exists copious documentation on how to do what you are doing.

this
http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm
will get you started.

also look at:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

which is huge and daunting, but important.

not trying to scare you, just trying to help you get good results :)