Brother HL printer, how to install it into the debian system??

Dear All,

I have a Brother HL5040 printer, and I have downloaded it driver for linux/debian
system from Brother's website, it is a .deb pkg file.

However the apt-get program couldn't find this driver pkg to install it, even when I
gave a full path for the location of the pkg.

Chris suggested to run dpkg -i at location of the pkg to install it, I did and the
pkg was installed,:) however it didn't work right. the effect is that the printer
will print but print out only empty papers and will not stop such horrible printing
until I turn its power off! :((  It still not working.....:(((((

Could anyone tell me what I can do to install this Brother HL5040 printer onto my
debian system?  Or where can I find the right or compitable driver (if it's driver
problem) for it to install?  THANKS A LOT!!!

leo