Re: ipw2100 WEP with Debian Unstable

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:49:11 -0500
Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am trying to get an Inspiron 6000's WIFI to work under Debian and
> am trying to compile the ieee and ipw2200 modules.  Make complains of
> missing kernel files in /lib/modules.../build.  I have an Ubuntu
> install.  The install does not include the kernel sources or headers,
> 2.6.12-10, but when I try to do apt-get, apt-get returns packages not
> found.  I cannot find 2.6.12-10 in debian or Ubuntu mirrors.  I am
> new to debian installs, from Mandriva, and was somewhat surprised at
> what was not included in the basic install.

In Ubuntu you need to install linux-headers-2.6.12 for your kernel as
well as kernel-image-2.6.12. Then you can build modules against the
Ubuntu packaged kernel. I am not at an Ubuntu machine right now, so I
can't give you the exact package name, but you can find it with the
command "dpkg -l | grep headers".

That being said, please keep in mind that Ubuntu may be based on
Debian, but it is different than the official Debian distribution. You
may get better information subscribing to the Ubuntu user mailing lists
and asking your questions there.

Good Luck,
--
Bill Thompson