Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 11:15 -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 23:47:59 -0800
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > <SNIP>
> > > NOTE: Servers != Desktop.  I have not seen _any_ reference to a dell
> > > _desktop_ computer comming preinstalled with linux, but i have seen
> > > references on dell for *SERVERS* with linux.
> >
> > Either way, they still do not offer it, despite indications on their
> > website to the contrary.
>

> This is an couple-weeks-old thread, but just to clarify -- Dell has in
> the past sold servers with Linux installed through their website.  I know
> this because a year ago I bought several from them for a small business
> I was doing some work for.  I bought them through their website, I
> chose RHEL as the OS through a customization page, they came with RHEL
> installed and with the RHEL disks/material accompanying, and there were
> no problems whatsoever.
>
> That said, those customization options no longer seem available on the
> relevant purchase pages.
>
> -c

On the SUSE or Novell website there's a link somewhere to order Dell
servers with SUSE Enterprise pre-installed or on disk.

Upon looking it up I found Dell give users the choice of RedHat or SUSE.
So yes, they do sell linux machines, but you have to dig hard and follow
links it seems from outside Dell's website to get there.

Kind Regards,
B.Hoffmann

Linux User #398054