Re: Cannot connect to Debian Server over network

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:42:20PM -0500, Pabla,Balbir [Ontario] wrote:

> I am in process of setting up Dell 2800 server with Debian 3.1, 2.4 smp
> kernel.
> I can ping/telnet/ftp out, but from other machine I cannot  connect to
> to this server using ping, telnet/ftp.
> Any body can help, how these services are set in Debian. I have more
> experience in RH environment.
> What are the deamons name to turn on these services?
> I don't see the directory in Debian as it is in RH /etc/xinetd.d  etc..
Just some random thoughts:
The equivalent for Debian is found in /etc/inetd.conf.
You did install ssh? 'apt-get install ssh'. If yes, did you enable
the ssh server, sshd? 'dpkg-reconfigure ssh'.
Do you have nmap on the other machine? What does a port scan say?
What makes me a bit clueless is the fact that you say you can't
ping the debian machine; without any firewalls between the machines,
this should be always possible...for me that would point to a hardware
problem. However you say that outward connections are ok; are you
running a firewall on one of the machines?

--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379