Re: where is the GRUB menu file?

pair odocs wrote:
> I am a new user who just installed debian 3.1r1 with the 2.6 kernel with GRUB in the mbr.

Welcome to Debian ...... and debian-user

>   Much went well for a 'desktop'  install...later we could talk printer and video codecs.
>
>   One issue: I can't find  the GRUB menu list file in this installation.  Where is it?  It would be much easier to make some multiple disk multiboot changes if I could directly edit it rather than do it indirectly through GRUB.

/boot/grub/menu.lst <-- I think this what you are trying to find.

>   Second: I am happily looking forward to trying various software.  Installing from a tar archive is fine when no deb or rpm is available.  But how does one uninstall all the various pieces? Is there now a tool?  Is there a log that at least lists them?

It is recommended that installation from a tar archive be done in
/usr/local and removal should be as easy as removing the directory that
the installation creates there. As far as "uninstall all the various
pieces"  process is concerned, that should be the job of a package manager.

>   Thanks for help. I've read great things about Debian and am keen to sort things out.

I'm sure this list and its active members will be of much help.
/kds