USB drive automount problem

On a sarge system I can automount a USB thumb drive with gnome-volume-manager,
leaving this mtab entry:
/dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Another sarge system fails to automount the same drive, leaving this entry
message in .xsessions-errors:

  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

The problem appears to be a mount option required by the formatting of this
specific thumb drive, iocharset=utf8.  With this option I can manually mount
the drive on either system.  I don't know how the automounter is getting or
using this option.  I have searched extensively in /etc/ and /home but have
not found the relevant configuration difference between the two systems.