Re: I'm looking for a better XShell

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 07:59:35PM +0000, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:32:58AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >Gnome-terminal has a feature that I really like. It underlines text
> >that has the syntax of a URL. If you point to the text with your cursor
> >and cntrl-click, it starts your browser in another window and sends it
> >to look at the URL. But there is a problem: I can't get the rest of
> >gnome desktop to work, and if I try to run gnome-terminal under KDE, I
> >can't configure fonts for the gnome-terminal window. To configure fonts
> >for gnome-terminal I think I should use gnome-control-center, but it
> >seems to fight with KDE control center. Sometimes it works, but not
> >very often.
>
> You can't get GNOME to work? What do you want, and what are you doing?
>
> Debian's GNOME shouldn't be difficult to get working...

First, I think I may be making progress toward satisfying my
wishes, by installing icewm. I don't know for sure because
I've so liked the initial fonts and colors that I haven't
tried to change them. In a way my problem may be solved already.

But it has been my experience in the past that things change in
over time in a windowing environment, and it is often hard to
put them back the way you liked them. So, for now, I am somewhat
optimistic.

Gnome: My problem with gnome is that when I install the packages
and choose it in the display manager (kdm), I get a garble of
incompletely drawn windows, and there is repainting whenever I
move the mouse, which repainting makes the garble worse.
This happens on a Sarge system that is a clean new installation.
I'm puzzled about this and about the installation. I thought
putting a new ext2fs on the root partition would wipe out all
old information, but somehow old garbage seems to be surviving
and poisoning things. But, for now, I hope to avoid confronting
this issue.

Thanks,

--
Paul E Condon