Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 07:29:15PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 19:24, Andrew Cady wrote:
> > >
> > > Microsoft's OEM list price for Windows XP Pro is US$135.00 right
> > > now, generally speaking, subtract that amount for the fair market
> > > cost of the hardware without Windows.
> >
> > Dell is not paying $135 for a copy of Windows.
>
> Are you sure?  Look how they cut corners on hardware right up through
> the midrange.

Dell has immense negotiating power.  We can't know what exactly they do
pay for Windows, or for an Intel CPU, but it's certainly going to be
less than anyone else.

(If you're thinking that just because Dell can't switch to Linux they
have no power, consider that they *could* start shipping PCs with
Firefox, or servers optionally with Linux, or PCs without OSes).