Re: X doesn't start

Anakreon Mendis wrote:

>The X server fails to start.
>Yesturday it worked fine.
>I can't figure out how to fix the problem.
>>From the log file I found this message:
>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

This is probably not what's stopping your X server from starting.

Look in /var/log/X[whatever] for clues.

Try a different window manager/environment.

Are you starting from "startx" or some sort of login manager? Try the/an
other method.

Are you running Stable, Testing, Unstable?

KDE? Gnome? Fluxbox? other?

Without more detail, I'd guess KDE, from KDM, and you get logged in, the
X server starts, and then dies, which is probably being caused by wrong
perms on /tmp/.ICE-unix. But that's just a guess based on my most common
issue on Sid.

--
Kent